are plenty of activites to enjoy in
Carlingford and the Cooley Peninsula within easy reach of McKevitt's
Golf, hill walking,
boat hire, sailing, sea fishing, wind-surfing, outdoor activities
centre, Heritage Centre, guided history tours, medieval building,
Irish pubs, traditional music, restaurants, Carlingford Oysters
are all available.
is an ideal location for a golfing break....
The is a good
selection of excellent golf clubs within a short distance of McKevitt's
Hotel. Below are contact details if you want to contact the golf
Clubs in County Louth
Tel: +353 41 685 3227
Tel: +353 42 937 1124
Beg Golf Course
Armagh Road, Dundalk
Tel: +353 42 933 2518
Louth Golf Club
Tel: +353 41 982 2329
Tel: +353 42 932 1731
Tel: +353 42 937 3212
Park Golf Course
Tel:+353 42 933 9303
Tel: +353 41 982 2333
Tel: +353 41 984 2229
Clubs in County Down
County Down Golf Club
Newcastle, Co Down, BT33 0AN
Tel: 028 4372 3314
Mourne Park Kilkeel
Tel: 028 4176 5095
Lower Dromore Road,
Warrenpoint, BT34 3LN
Tel: 028 4175 3695
in the Carlingford area
The area surrounding
Carlingford Lough is a walkers paradise. Unspoilt rolling countryside
dotted with villages and occasional small towns. Dramatic hill and
mountain country. Clean, fresh air that's crystal clear - the views
go on for ever. And a warm welcome everywhere - guaranteed.
Cooley Peninsula provides excellent, moderate hill walking,
particularly in the Cooley Mountains and Slieve Foy.
The Tain Trail is a 26 km marked walk in the beautiful Cooley and
Carlingford mountains, starting from the medieval town of Carlingford,
providing spectacular views over the surrounding countryside and
across Carlingford Lough.
northern shore of the Lough backs on to the Mourne Mountains
which provide a variety of moderate and rugged walks and rock climbs.
Best is the Mourne Wall Walk which follows the 22 mile boundary
drystone wall which links the main peaks. It was built 90 years
ago to enclose the Silent Valley, dammed to create the reservoir
that supplies most of Northern Ireland's water.
Sports Carlingford Lough
famous for water sports - sailing, canoeing, kayaking, water skiing,
wind surfing, banana boat rides, boat hire are all available.
Activities in area around Carlingford
Rock Climbing, Abseiling, Orienteering, Archery,Hill Walking
Night Walking - on beautiful Slieve Foy, Horse Riding.
Carlingford's Medieval Heritage
Guided History Tours of Carlingford are available through the Carlingford
Heritage Trust. The area rich in castles and mediaeval buildings
and Carlingford town in particular has an excellent preserved selection.
Tholsel is the only surviving town gate in Carlingford and one of
very few in Ireland. Contemporary with the 15th century town wall,
it functioned as a toll gate where taxes were levied on goods entering
the town. It is recorded in 1834 that the building was used by the
Corporation of Carlingford for meetings and a Parliament is said
to have convened there and made laws for the Pale. It was also used
as the town gaol in the 18th century. Originally three storeys high,
its present appearance is due to alterations made in the 19th century.
John's Castle - 12th century This early Norman fortress was named
after King John who visited Carlingford in 1210. The western portion
of the castle predates this visit and was probably commissioned
by Hugh de Lacy c. 1190. A massive curtain wall divides the earlier
western courtyard from the eastern wing, which contained the living
quarters. The eastern section was constructed in the mid 13th century
and has alterations and additions dating from the 15th and 16th
centuries. The castle commanded an important defensive position
on the Lough but by the 16th century it was described as in a wretched
condition and remained so until conservation work in the 1950s.
town's failure to attract industry in the past means that visitors
still experience the original medieval fabric, fossilised in its
past, unlike neighbouring towns such as Dundalk where all traces
of medieval defences were removed by the first half of the 18th
century. Two hundred years ago a noted Irish scholar reflected,
"There is a medieval suggestiveness about it which carries one back
many centuries and fills the mind with vague dreamings". Today,
that essential character still remains with narrow streets and many
of the original buildings. The major historical buildings include
the 12th century King John's Castle and the fortifed Dominican Friary
dating from 1305. The Mint and The Tholsel, a medieval toll house,
both date from the 15th century. Taaffe's Castle was built in the
16th century as home to a wealthy merchant. Carlingford's rich history
is brought to life today in the Holy Trinity Heritage Centre, located
in a restored medieval church.
is considered the Kinsale of the North East with nine excellent
restaurants and seven cosy pubs.
updated February 2010